Pickup/dropoff of nonspecialty club gear (listed below) is at the Caltech Y during their business hours. By renting gear, you agree to abide by the COVID-19 policies as described under the "Current Policies and Operations Status" at Caltech Together. You are responsible for providing any consumables needed for the gear (batteries, wax, etc).
Club gear administered by the Y
- Crampons (strap)
- Avalanche beacons, probes, and shovels
- Climbing helmets
- Bouldering crash pads
- Trunk-mounted bike rack
- Snow pickets
- Snow saw
- Garmin InReach (2) - $2/day, includes subscription
- Touring skis/boards (skis include poles, by request)
- Voile Supercharger 154 w/ skins SM binding (265-325 mm)
- BD Revert 164 w/ skins SM binding (260-315 mm)
- BD Link 166 w/ skins SM binding (260-315 mm)
- BD Link 166 w/ skins ML binding (285-340 mm)
- Jones Solution splitboard 161 cm w/ skins, Karakoram bindings
- Ski wax kits (2)
- Ski wax kit 1 includes a foldable table with vice grips, iron, edge tuner, scraper, and nylon brush
- Ski wax kit 2 includes vice grips, iron, edge tuner, scraper, and nylon brush
- 2-way radios (4), make a separate request for each radio
- Rocky Talkies (includes USB-C cord and charger). User manual.
To reserve this gear, contact the Caltech Y. The Caltech Y also rents other outdoor gear, such as bear barrels, tents, and sleeping bags (scroll down to "Rentals & Sales"). All gear must be requested at least 48 hrs in advance - no walk-in or same-day reservations - and a fee of $1/day is charged for each piece of equipment, with the exception of the InReach. If you would like to rent the InReach from the Y, please note that the subscription included allows unlimited free SOS messages and preset messages (to the club email). You will be charged for use of any additional features of the InReach - see here for more information.
To reserve some of our specialty gear, check the calendar for availability and fill out this form at least 48 hours in advance of your reservation. Then, fill out the waiver and health attestation. Email both of these completed documents to lims@caltech and set up pickup/dropoff times at least 48 hours in advance. No walk-in/same-day reservations.